The New Directions Alternative Education Center Special Education Department uses an inclusion model to provide direct classroom support and individualized remediation to meet the needs of students.
Ms. Szupinka: Special Education Department Chairperson
Ms. McCarthy: Transition Specialist
New Directions Alternative Education Center
Special Education Mission Statement
The mission of the New Directions Alternative Education Center’s Special Education Department is for all students to achieve success both in the school setting and in the community. NDAEC seeks to promote standards of excellence and innovation in special education research, practice, and policy in order to foster exceptional teaching for our students. We strive to provide leadership, advocacy, technical assistance, and promote collaboration among students, parents, educators, and the community.
- We support a diverse population of students in a spirit of collaboration and full inclusion.
- We acknowledge each student at NDAEC as a lifelong learner and a contributing member of society.
- We share responsibility and resources to benefit all students, whether or not they have a disability.
- We are committed to collaboratively supporting classroom teachers and staff in identifying and meeting the diverse needs of students with disabilities through purposeful individualized education programming.
- We advocate for our students’ right to a free and appropriate public education
- We advocate for our students’ right to access appropriate accommodations and modifications in their least restrictive environment.
Special Education Vision Statement
The vision of the New Directions Alternative Education Center’s Special Education Department is to serve as a lead example of: successful implementation of new methodology, full inclusion within a small and flexible school setting, dedication to meeting the individual needs of all learners, resulting in an increased, on time graduation.